Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Perspective

Today's post is not about hair, but then again it is. I wanted to share something that would be encouraging. So...I can't remember a time in life that I wasn't facing some sort of difficulty or wasn't faced with the opportunity to quit and give up on things that meant a lot to me. I can go as far back as elementary school and recall things that happened that if I had allowed it to it could have totally changed my future. Through my mother's open and honest teachings and my own perseverance I learned that nothing in life would be handed to you and that you would have to work for what you wanted. I learned that in order to achieve something it would take diligence and patience. A lot of people pray for change to take place in their lives, but the change only happens when you take action; prayer alone will not cut it.

While in cosmetology school, I faced what seemed like some of my toughest days. Prior to making the decision to go to cosmetology school I was in graduate school working on my master's degree, but I quit. The passion to be a part of the beauty industry burned entirely too deep. Of course, people think your absolutely insane when you make such a move, but that's what dreams are about, taking chances! I knew it would be an extreme  sacrifice, but I didn't realize how extreme until I got into it. But again, aren't dreams about taking the risk? Just to give you a glimpse into my reality at that time; I was a single mom of an almost one year old and I lived in a town with no family, I attended school 42 hours per week and I worked over nights at the hospital 3 nights per week. School for me was 8 hours most days and 12 hours on Wednesdays and Thursdays!!!!! Talk about a sister being tired!!!!!! But no one knew or at least I rarely let it show in my expression. My perspective was in the right place. I knew that I was "going somewhere". I knew that my situation was temporary and that that time in my journey was necessary and vital to my success. In order for me to one day become a platform artist I would first need a cosmetology license and in order for me to receive that license I needed my 1500 hours. Bottom line. I can't recall any person of influence or who has accomplished great things that has not experienced something similar to my story as it relates to the challenges. Along the way I had to quit my job because I could no longer find a baby sitter or let alone get off work at 4am and go to school at 8:30am! It was just crazy! I lost my car, rent got behind, and my body was weary, but again I can't stress enough the importance of perspective!!!!!! Anything worth having is worth fighting for and worth putting the time in, but your mind has to be in the right place and you have to have the understanding that their would be no peak without the valley. Needless to say I graduated with honors and I'm working in the industries I love.

Be encouraged and remember that perspective is everything. God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment